Ideally, your plumbing should be working for you behind the scenes, unnoticed. Sadly, this is not always the case. Issues with plumbing can cause a miriad of problems in your life; from the daily frustration of a dripping tap or a water hammer in your pipes to serious water damage to your house. It helps to be familiar with the most common plumbing problems that one can face and to know some possible solutions that are recommended to tackle them. The two most common problems relating to plumbing are “leaks” and “clogging”…
If you are going to have a problem with your plumbing it is most likely that it will involve a leak of some kind. Here are some common causes of leaks and methods that you may be able to use to fix them yourself;
- Perished or poorly applied caulking. If a leak occurs due to caulking, you would need to remove the old caulk, properly clean the area and then apply a completely new caulk.
- If you have a worn out inlet valve, it could cause a restriction for the water in the toilet from shutting off fully. To fix this, you would need to firstly turn off the water supply to the toilet, the flush out all the water stored.
- Loose joints. To fix this its just a matter of tighten the joints properly but make sure not to over do it.
Clogging is another critical problem in that can effect your plumbing.
- If your bathtub waste is clogged, begin by removing any hair and other debris blocking the plug hole, then use an efficient drain cleaner to clean the drain well.
- To fix a clogged toilet, try using a plunger. If this doesn’t work you could resort to using a plumbing snake/electric eel to clear the blockage inside.
Many plumbing problems can be taken care of by yourself but if this isn’t the case you should seek professional help. Call Sydney Emergency Plumbing on 1800 UNBLOK 862 565.